Saturday, 17 January 2015

The Time I Lived On My Own | Tips For University Students

[Disclaimer: As I've been absent from blogging much during the last half of 2013 and 2014, I've decided to blog about events and experiences that I think will be interesting! I will be working my way through the past year and a half in chronological order and hopefully you will all like it.]


My old room… Completely perfect with all of it's mess, clutter and the pink hairdryer.

Moving out for University - even if it was for just a year - was a huge deal for me. It was the first time I'd properly been away from home without other family members, it was literally my first sleepover (if you call it a sleepover) and I was completely independent.
It all seems like a blur to me. Full of sleepless nights, deadlines and the occasional spur of the moment filming (hence the tripod).




But it was brilliant. 

Living on my own gave me a sense of entitlement, independence and freedom (in a way) - but it's careful not to abuse it! Sure, living in halls means that you are able to make friends with other students, have parties, let the drinks flow and enjoy the nightlife. But c'mon guys, remember, it's University. You have to study. It's very easy to have a day in bed bingewatching episodes of Catfish and Ru Pauls Drag Race (you can't really say no to Ru Paul though); but as long as you do the work and make the grades, it's fine. Oh, and that you learn a thing or two.

My first few weeks of living on my own were filled with night outs, meeting new friends and getting to know Ryan - as that was around the start of our relationship. It was a bit hard to adjust to the independence of cooking my own dinner, constantly up tidying the bathroom, doing my own washing etc! I know these are all standard tasks that everyone has to do, but it does take a little time to adjust to especially when you're not already in that routine. 

I'd say one of the hardest things to adjust to was living with a few strangers who have different personalities. Very rarely, five strangers will come together and will all get along without there being any kind of drama. But in my flat, we had a bit of a divide. I'm personally not into taking sides so I tried to play peacemaker - despite constantly staying in my own room haha. But I tried to get along with everyone and do my bit (washing my own dishes and keeping the flat tidy). 

For those of you who are yet to go to University or you're currently a University student, here are some tips and advice from a graduate who secretly wishes she could be a student again!

1) Get the work done first. This is a no brainer and if you're great with managing your time, you will have no problem. I'm terrible at getting tasks done, especially as I'm an expert in procrastination. But there were nights where I wouldn't be able to sleep as I had a lot of work to do - which I should've done earlier in the day, but didn't. 

2) Facebook, Twitter and Instagram will always be there. This was something that my parents would always tell me back when I was doing my GCSE's and A-Levels. I always wanted to check my Facebook and Myspace (back then)… Oh and MSN Messenger. Gosh, do you remember MSN?! There's a time for checking your social media, and it's after you get the more important things done first.

3) Asda Smart Price food may be lacking in taste and quality… but it'll save you the extra quid or two. This was something that I learned from Ryan actually, I remember on one occasion I only had £10 for a full shop. But with that £10 worth of food, it lasted me well over a week and I was happy! 

4) Try to maintain good relationships with your lecturers. They will be there to help you out whenever you need it, and you'll be able to list them as a reference on your CV. 

5) Despite, the main important things. You need to make the most of your student life! Take it from a graduate who misses the late nights, the drinking and the occasional parties. You might be thinking that you'll still have the social life after you've graduated, but trust me, it's not the same. 

Another little tip is to document your life. I know this is just based on my own experience but I really recommend just writing about your day or taking lots of photos or videos. If you are into journaling, try writing a blog or posting YouTube videos - and document your week or a day of the week. It will bring back memories and it's a great way of looking back on your University years.

I hope you guys liked this post and helps any of you who are at University or are looking to start University :) 

SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I'm terrified about university so this was a great insight! Thanks for sharing :) x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww don't be scared, it's an amazing experience and I'd love to be a student again! Thanks for stopping by :) xx

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing Snow Island? I was at Aspley Hall ;-)
    http://www.tamlovestea.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© The Ravi Osahn | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig