Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Ginger, Cinnamon and Molasses Cake in a Mug

Hey everyone :)

If you've been a reader of my blog for over a year now, you will have read my Chocolate Cake in a Mug recipe :) And lately I've been experimenting with different ingredients to make all sorts of new cakes in a mug!

I love making these as it's just the right amount of dessert to eat, it's super quick and easy - especially if you're a student because you can just pop it in the microwave and it gets cooked within minutes!

So without wasting more time, here is the Ginger, Cinnamon and Molasses Cake In A Mug :)


This spicy, yummy, sweet, delicious cake is VERY easy to make! I wanted something that tasted like the ginger cakes that you can buy (I don't know, I had a ginger cake craving haha!) and well, we had Molasses
- "A thick, dark, heavy syrup which is a by-product of sugar refining. It is far less sweet than syrup or honey and the darker the molasses, the less sugar it contains. Molasses has a slightly bitter flavour that is favoured in traditional North American recipes such as Boston baked beans and it also goes into the making of rich fruit cakes, gingerbread and treacle toffee."

All of these ingredients was a great combination, and you really have to try it!


Ingredients (per mug):
2 tbsp strong brewed Coffee
1/4 tsp ground ginger (I used a tsp as I wanted a rich gingery taste!)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp Molasses
4 1/2 tsp sugar
1 egg 
3 tbsp milk
5 1/2 tbsp flour
1/4 tbsp baking powder




I made two mugs as my sister wanted to try it out too! :)


So first things first. I measured out the butter (melted it for 10 seconds) and mixed in the sugar. I had then added the cinnamon, ground ginger and also the baking powder.
I wanted to get all of the small ingredients in there first... it doesnt matter which way you do it, as long as it all gets mixed in!

However, DON'T put in the Flour until last!




The first set of ingredients mixed up..


Got my recipe out ;)


Can you see the dark liquid in there? That is the Molasses and the 2 tbsp of strong brewed coffee! The coffee I poured in was very warm, but I found that it helped to loosen up the Molasses and I was able to mix it better.

After that, I added the milk and egg and mixed it! Last but not least, I folded in the flour and stirred it all until there were no lumps and it was an thick and even cake batter


I then popped it into the oven for around 1 minute and 20 seconds, enough for it to cook well but not be too dry.

I found that cooking it for this amount of time kept the mixture quite moist especially in the bottom centre of the cake.


It rises a little bit, but don't worry - It won't over spill ;)



YUMMYYY!!
Even just writing about it now is making me want to eat it!

This cake is perfect for a night in watching a movie, or if you're having that dessert craving but you're not wanting chocolate :P

~ xoxo
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ravi Osahn | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig