Monday, 5 November 2012

What are you fighting for?

So, today is Guy Fawkes Day - or better known as Bonfire Night. 

And I'm still wondering why people here in Britain are celebrating it. 
Are we celebrating the idea of terrorism? Or the idea that Guy Fawkes had the honest intentions of blowing up the House of Lords? Or the fact that he failed?

I remember the first time I learned about Guy Fawkes, I was 5 years old in class and we had to draw pictures of fireworks on little postcard things. And I never really knew what the whole meaning of the day way, until today.

Guy Fawkes and his 'crew' had try to blow up the House of Lords (and well... King James I) because they were Catholic, and didn't want Britain to continue having a Protestant King. They tried to assassinate him. 
But they failed, and were arrested.

So why do we light bonfires and fireworks?
To celebrate that King James didn't die.

Anyway, after researching all of the history on Guy Fawkes, I was then led onto protest groups whom dress up with the Guy Fawkes mask... Surely, you know the mask from V For Vendetta, right?

One of the groups, Anonymous:

"Anonymous (used as a mass noun) is a loosely associated hacktivist group. It originated in 2003 on the imageboard 4chan, representing the concept of many online and offline community users simultaneously existing as an anarchic, digitized global brain.[4] It is also generally considered to be a blanket term for members of certain Internet subcultures, a way to refer to the actions of people in an environment where their actual identities are not known.[5] It strongly opposesInternet censorship and surveillance, and has hacked various government websites. It has also targeted major security corporations.[6][7][8] Its members can be distinguished in public by the wearing of Guy Fawkes masks."

~ Wikipedia

No, no, I'm not a hacker! Neither am I wanting to keep my opinions anonymous!
I found this group quite interesting as they've been named by Time magazine, one of the most influencial groups in the world.


More and more I read on, the more I like the idea of it. 

"Anonymous identity meme does operate as a sort of possessive, incorporating force, absorbing individuals temporarily and acting as a meta-identity structure, it is by no means simply malignant. Anonymous is one face of a broad anti-authoritarian, pro-freedom sentiment; its iconic mask symbolizes both that movement’s ends, its means (individuals collected as a single entity), and the right to anonymous public political participation. The use of the Guy Fawkes mask suggests a movement with an infinitely reproducible identity, a fractal movement via which individuals or small cells can operate and act — for better or worse, hopefully the former — with the power of the whole."

They're anti-authoritan and pro-freedom

And they target different organisations to bring them down. Most recently, religion.

Here is a little bit of their argue against religion:
"
Let us be clear from the start: any kind of religion is a sickness to this world.

A sickness that creates hate and intollerance,


a sickness that brings people to wage war on their fellow people,



a sickness that has come to this world long time ago, when mankind wasn’t educated,

a sickness that brought false hope and surpression to those who believed

and often even more terror and surpression to those who dared not to believe.

Religions are authoritarian hierarchies, designed to dominate your free

will. Religions are mind control.They’re power structures that aim to convince you to give away your power for the benefit of those who enjoy dominating people. When you subscribe to a religion, you enroll in a mindless minion training program. Religions don’t market themselves as such, but this is essentially how they operate.In case you ever wondered why religious teachings are invariably mysterious, confusing, and incongruent? This is no accident — it’s intentional."


And well, despite kinda disagreeing with the above message. I do have my own opinions for what I believe is right. 
However, I admire the Anonymous group for coming together and seeing a mass of people as 'one' rather than a religious label. However, I don't really feel the need to attack different religions and say whether they are wrong or right.

I wrote this a while ago and it was lying around in my drafted posts, however I felt that it did fit in with the context of this post :)


"I dislike the idea of inequality whether it being gender or race. And despite our different appearances and beliefs, at the end of the day we're all the same. We're not so different as other people may say. I know some people take their religion to extremes and say that "we're not like (insert religion here) and we're brought up to be proper" and obviously proceed to claiming their religion is the best. Yet, we're all human. A guy may have a religious exterior and then assume he is a great guy yet he may have a different agenda. Humans do bad things, it's not because of religion, or what culture you've been exposed to. It's because it's human nature, and anyone is capable of doing absolutely anything.

Maybe God - if there is one - wanted this world not to be perfect so that we could all look past people's differences and actually get along. As if it's a life lesson for us - to understand other people's cultures and backgrounds, have acceptance for them and therefore learn to love them. If all of these religions came about based on God and how he created the world with so many different religions, why would he put them all on the same planet if he didn't want them to get along?

When people are so confined within their own four walls, they often lose sight of what really matters, and the outer world. They're often prone to thinking egotistically of what they think is 'right' and what is 'wrong', without opening their mind of other possibilities  And so, whatever they come across they must judge in this way. When people judge others based on their religious preferences, and say "You can't do this because it's not what God would want". Well.. How would they know what God would want?

I'm going to back this up with another quote, one that really does help to put life into perspective. "The great enemy of peace is ego. Ego makes you judge others and think about them in an unkind way. It makes you force others to do what you want. In this way, you forget that you are a student and that you are here to learn. Instead of learning, if you start giving advice, telling people what they should do and trying to change them, you are forgetting an important lesson in life. You can only change yourself, not others".

Knowing that you can't change other people, and the only thing that you can do is change yourself is a really peaceful thought. I know some may think that when others do things that they personally do not like or they talk to people they dislike, can be frustrating as they think 'that's not the way it should be'. Change yourself to be more accepting, and see the better side of the situation.

Sometimes when people are trying to change others - rather than accepting them for who they are - shows that they're not happy with themselves. So instead of looking at the root problem of their personal unhappiness, they look at others and try to fault and change them. This is something that everyone has done, or still does, but once you are truly happy with yourself and focused on your own needs, then you will come to see not only peoples faults, but their qualities too. And you accept the fact that their personality or their appearance is different, but it doesn't bother you because you've accepted that you can't change them and that is how they are.

Therefore you see the beauty in people of different backgrounds, their way of living, their personal choices and interests and you accept that is who they are. You can't interfere with changing them, because they need to change themselves.

One thing that I've come to realise about changing, is the fact that I am who I am. I listen to certain music, I wear certain clothes, I'm comfortable going out dressed casually, I have my own opinions and way of thinking and I am different to other people. But that's okay. I'm like this for a reason, and you are the way you are for a reason. And I'm comfortable and happy with the way that I am and I dislike others telling me that I need to be more like others, or they think I'm wrong for thinking my own way rather then their way - or even what the vast majority belives.
This is what I can't understand, if I can accept others for who they are, why can't they accept me for who I am? Why can't they accept others for who they are, despite their appearance and religious label."

What are your opinions on free speech and religion? 
~ xoxo
SHARE:

2 comments

© The Ravi Osahn | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig