Friday, 16 March 2012

Why I Never Bothered With KONY2012

Everyone, okay most of you, have heard of the Invisible Children campaign to help find and arrest that Ugandan warlord Kony. It was a trending topic on Twitter and the video went viral fucking everywhere. Around 50+ people on my Facebook posted the video caption with "FIND KONY2012!!!!" as if posting a video on their timeline will actually help.

I know this is really late, and this Kony stuff blew up around a week ago, but I still feel the need to share my opinion, after all lately many people are reading my blog for my *amazing* opinions.

So I was at University when this all surfaced on the internet, and I didn't pay any attention to it. It was only until a few people tweeted me with "STOP KONY2012" or something like that, and I decided to ask "What is all of this Kony stuff?" and a friend of mine shared the video on my Facebook wall. Which I didn't watch fully. I watched around 2 minutes of it, got bored, and moved further into the video to see why everyone on Facebook and Twitter felt the need to become Social Rights activists.

So these three guys (students - to be particular), went to Africa to make a video, yes, to come back to America with a tragic video that will storm the internet. They didn't go solely to find and stop Kony. Yuck. And the fact that this was a campaign - and dwelled on something that happened six years ago, made me not take the situation seriously. The video was very well edited (only the few minutes of it that I bothered to watch).

Thing is, I did have sympathy for the children that were harmed because of all of this, but I do not know these children. I don't participate in Slacktivism* for people, and a huge viral story that everyone decided was so important.

*Slacktivism: "..."feel-good" measures, in support of an issue or social cause, that have little or no practical effect other than to make the person doing it feel satisfaction. Slacktivist activities include signing Internet petitions, joining a community organization without contributing to the organization's efforts, copying and pasting of Social Network statuses or messages or altering one's personal data or avatar on social network services."

Many of you have probably engaged in slacktivism, and I don't blame you. BUT what can a video do to help people? What will posting a video on your Facebook wall do for these children that are suffering? How will tweeting a million fucking times to other Twitter users about how they should "spread the word about Kony", going to benefit and help these children?".

Some of these people have forgotten that this movie was filmed and focused on a point several years ago, and apparently this Ugandan warlord is no longer in Uganda. And has probably fleed Africa. Who knows?

I'm not a heartless person by not wanting to 'participate' in "helping to find Kony". In fact I donate to charity, I donated £1 yesterday to an animal charity outside a makeup shop.

But I don't understand why America and other countries are having to donate a hell of a lot of money to the Invisible Children charity, when they are currently in a money crisis. In fact, many countries are in a money crisis, so where is all of this money that is going to this charity coming from? And why can't it be used for other purposes, like, I don't know, getting the country out of debt!?

It's just too much douchebaggery and I never followed this 'trend'. I didn't post this on my Facebook or on my Twitter as I knew I couldn't be arsed with all of this, to be honest. And it's now a week after the the viral video blew up, and guess what, no one gives a fuck anymore. It was just a trend to post it on your Facebook, rather than to go out and actually do something about it. Yeah, slacktivism - just posting it up on your wall to make you look like you give a damn, when chances are you probably don't.


I saw this and LOL'd for ages... man, XiaXue is fucking awesome.



~ xoxo
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. What can a video do? Well, you're writing about it, aren't you?

    You mentioned aid, well, the actual US overseas aid commitment is 0.22% of GNP (the official target is 0.7%), which is 0.22% of 14 TRILLION dollars. Likewise, the UK's overseas aid budget is 0.48% of GNP (2.27 TRILLION dollars). So, practically speaking, the amounts we're talking about is peanuts.

    ReplyDelete

© The Ravi Osahn | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig